Sunday, January 4, 2009

Tennessee!

I have to admit. It was good to get out to Tennessee. I was the only one in the family that had not been out to see my cousin so I was feeling pretty guilty. But it was also nice to actually see some Black people. You have know idea! I felt like I should talk to everybody and shake everyone's hand because I knew when I left it would be another 6 months before I saw anyone else. I took advantage of the trip and got a haircut too. I told the barber that it has to last another month until I fly back out to California. People out here in Greeley don't realize what it's like to not have anyone know how to cut your hair. They also don't realize that Black men's hair actually does grow and that it takes effort to keep it short and manageable. I tried explaining that to a colleague and he had no idea what I was talking about. It's okay, it's not their problem.

I visited my first HBCU in Tennessee State and being the athletes that we are, we went straight to the track to see their facilities. The Wilma Rudolph statue was very impressive. Monique is the Tennessee historian and Antoinne was the driver (yesim) so they gave us a nice driving tour of Nashville. We got to tour an old plantation and while Amanda was envisioning herself as a sweet southern bell living in the great mansion, the rest of us reflected on the tattered clothes and cramped living quarters we would have been sharing. We had a good laugh about it...and Amanda walked in front of us and we trailed. Some things never change.

But as Amanda pointed out in an earlier post, King-a-ling was the highlight of the trip. Little man was fun and he already has his mean mug down pat! It was a very good experience and one that I needed. I needed to see someone I consider one of my best friends and brother with his own child. It gave me confidence and excitement for the arrival of Brooklyn. If Twon could do it, anybody can! (just kidding Twon) I can't wait now. Her and King will both be super academics and super athletes. Bet.

And we even had a William sighting! The Rhodes family came up from Georgia to visit and it was really good seeing them too. I'm really glad they made it. We had bets going to see if William would actually show. Way to go Will! Caleb and Mychal are so tall now. Crazy!





No comments: