The days leading up to our trip I kept asking Quaylan, "when is our flight?" "4," he'd say. I had the itinerary but never looked at it, I trusted my husband knew when our flight left! The day before our flight, Quaylan checked us in online at 5:00. We were flying Southwest and were in the A group. He even printed the boarding passes. I started to check on the status of our flight, but got distracted by Brooklyn. Still, we were certain the flight left at 4 and were ready to go!.
The day of the flight, I told Quaylan we needed to visualize getting through the airport so that everything would go smoothly. This was our first time traveling with Brooklyn and I knew it would be very different from all our previous travels. So, instead of leaving for the airport an hour ahead of our flight, we left a good 2 and a half hours early. I was proud of us. "Have 2 new parents ever been as awesome and put together as us? " I thought proudly! Well, here comes a serving of humble pie!
We arrive at the airport at 2:15. At 2:20 we arrive at the ticket counter and use the kiosk to check in our bags. Suddenly a loud BING! goes off from the kiosk. The message on the screen is as follows : LUGGAGE CHECKED LESS THAN 45 MINUTES PRIOR TO DEPARTURE IS NOT GUARANTEED TO BE ON THE FLIGHT. WHAT??????? We give each other a puzzled look and, it seems like in slow motion, Quaylan pulls out the boarding passes he printed THE PREVIOUS NIGHT, and in clear as day wording, we see our flight is at 3:00. AAAAHHHHH!!!!! We look at the counter lady panicked, she says it should be ok, but that we need to get moving. Now, if this had happened pre-Brooklyn, Quaylan and I would have had to trouble running through the airport. However, things are different now, and it went down like this:
After getting Brooklyn's boarding pass, we begin running. We run past the elevator we are supposed to use since we have the stroller. We run to the escalator, each grabbing an end of the stroller and head straight to security. Now, remember, we had visualized and discussed how we would navigate through security. Well, all that went out the window. I run ahead, pull out all the breast milk I've pumped, take out my laptop, take off my belt, take off my awesome earrings I thought would be fun to wear, take off my shoes and turn around to help Quaylan. We have to take Brooklyn out of her car seat, take the car seat off the stroller, collapse the stroller, put in on the belt and send it through. But remember, we have to do all this while still getting our own stuff through! Quaylan has his belt, shoes and laptop, too.We each have 2 bins of stuff, plus our back packs to push through! Then, I have to open my milk so that it can be screened, too. Poor Brooklyn was handed back and forth between the two of us so many times! But she never made a peep. When the milk had been cleared (seriously, I can't believe they had to test it in the first place) I had to repack it into the bag. Finally, we were on our way!
Then, to exit security, we ran right past the elevator again, and this time used the regular stairs! Wait, we didn't just use the stairs, I need to emphasize that we RAN up the stairs, with full back-packs and carrying the stroller. We made it to the train to the gate! So far so good! It was 2:40 at this point. Remember, Southwest boards by group letter, so we were risking not being able to find seats together even if we made the plane.
We get off the train, more stairs! Not a problem for the Allens! We get to the appropriate gate area, but still have a long way to go. Our gate is the last gate, literally, the last and farthest gate. Quaylan is pushing the stroller, so I say that I'll run ahead! And so I go. I'm running as fast as I can, as fast as I can with a heavy back pack and a post-pregnancy body! I make it to the gate and see many people still lined up to board. I hear the announcer say, "Any more A passengers?" "Yes!" I yell while running up to the front. I run to the ticket agent, in front of everyone, "I (heave) am A, and (heave/breath heavy) my husband (deep breath in) and baby (heave heave) coming too! He looks at me and says, "looks like you ran!" Good observation Einstein! Then he says, "where is your husband?" "Um, I look back, he's coming...." All the people in the line are looking at me and waiting to board...and then Quaylan comes running, pushing the stroller, "there he is!" yay! We made it!
We find seats in the back, sit and try to comprehend what just happened! Brooklyn was an angel the whole time, never making a peep. When we do sit down she looks at me as if to say, that was rough, I'm hungry!
So, the Allen family made it through the Denver airport in 20 minutes, and still was able to board in the A group! Next time we will double check our tickets! And San Diego is amazing!
2 comments:
Wow! That sounds amazing and something you will never forget! Make sure to write it in a baby book, if you have one so Brooklyn will always remember!
TOOOOO FUNNY!!!! What a way to get introduced to travelling with an infant!!!! Next time it will be a breeze!!!
Post a Comment