I read today about a priest who sent a letter to his congregation informing them that those who voted for Barack Obama had committed a great sin and should refrain from taking Communion until they had gone to confession. I read the letter he sent directly from his parish's web page. His reasoning was that it is sinful to vote for a pro-choice candidate over a pro-life candidate. I am very sad over this. I am a good, strong Catholic and do not feel that supporting Mr. Obama is a sin. I do not believe that anyone takes abortion lightly. I think abortion is a great tragedy; however, making it illegal will not solve anything. I am pro-life, but I think the government should leave the laws they way they are. Does that make me a great sinner? I don't think so. I could go on forever, but instead I took advantage of the "send our priest a letter page." And did just that :) it may be a tad strong, but I'm tired of people making the same argument with little substance and I'm VERY TIRED of a senseless war. This priest does not make me ashamed to be a Catholic, on the contrary, I will stand up for myself and my faith and not let it be tarnished by his misguided opinions. I am more motivated than ever to change the world I live in. I'm about to bring a child into it, so sorry if I offend anyone with my post and letter, but I'm not going to let idiots scare us into submission. So, here it is:
Dear Father,
As a lifelong Catholic and daughter of a deacon I am very sad to hear about your letter. My father and I supported Barack Obama for president and this does not make us sinners. Pro-life means more than abortion. What about the lives of the soldiers fighting an unholy war in Iraq? What about the 60 Afghani's who were killed last week while attending a wedding in a "mistaken" bombing? Abortion is terrible, but it is not the only issue we need to take a moral stance on. Supporting a war that is inherently evil and slowly destroying our economy and society is much worse. I pray that God opens your eyes as to the true meaning of Pro-life. Pro-life for our soldiers, pro-QUALITY of life for the poor who receive subpar education due to the color of their skin or socioeconomic status, pro-life for EVERYONE. To support a presidential candidate who encourages killing innocent people in another country is great sin. Mr. McCain and President Bush are directly responsible for the deaths of our soldiers and Iraqis and Afghanis, a war being fought for oil! They have blood on their hands and by encouraging your parish to support them so do you.
Sincerely,
Amanda Allen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I heart you!
Good for you!
Post a Comment